Our software makes a difference. SciMed Solutions has spent the last 14 years building software for many different types of science and research. We support world-class scientists who do world-changing research. They are making actual improvements to AIDS vaccines. They are producing food crops that are more drought resistant. They are investing in our future and change the world for the better.
We're looking for someone to join our team of Ruby on Rails developers in Durham, NC, with either junior, mid-level, or senior experience. We are searching for the right person, not an experience level. At SciMed, you can expect to have influence, autonomy, trust, good friends, craftsmanship, flexible hack days, work-life balance, and purpose behind what you do. In return, we expect teamwork, quality communication, responsibility, and continual improvement.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Expect to create custom software related to the fields of research, clinical medicine, and education.
- You'll improve the workflows of our clients, empowering them to advance in their respective fields, and freeing them from paperwork and process bottlenecks.
- You'll code primarily in Ruby on Rails and use agile approaches to software development to get usable products to our clients quickly.
- Meetings are kept to a minimum to allow for focus without unnecessary disturbances.
- Developers who are interested often have the opportunity to meet with clients.
- We value collaboration such as pair programming.
- Our team has the ability to make all kinds of choices, including company best practices, processes, and protocols
Qualifications and Skills
- We strongly prefer:
• A bachelors degree (any field)
• Web based application development experience
• An understanding of and a drive to follow best practices
• Solid object oriented programming skills
• A drive to learn
- We prefer but do not require:
• Full stack development experience
• Ruby on Rails
• Database and OS experience
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary
- Sharing of company profits
- Health, dental, and basic vision insurance
- Short and long term disability
- Fidelity 401k plan with 2% employer match
- 24 days of paid time off per year
- Flexible hours
- Weekly training session with free lunch
- Monthly Hack Day
- Annual training stipend
- Coastal Federal Credit Union membership
- Enhanced SunTrust Account availability
- Company-paid parking pass
- Awesome coworkers